Referral & Admissions
Referral to our Hospice Program
For more information or to make a referral to Weinstein Hospice, please contact us at 404.351.1897. We are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
Referrals may come from any source
- Geriatric Case Managers
Criteria for Hospice Admission
- The physician documents that the patient has a prognosis of approximately 6 months should the disease run its current course.
- Patient agrees not to pursue cure-oriented or aggressive care and desires only comfort measures.
Process for Hospice Admission
- A physician must approve and sign the Hospice admission paperwork
- Our Medical Director reviews information provided by the referring physician and will determine the appropriateness for admission based on Medicare Criteria
- The patient must meet the medical criteria for acceptance into Hospice
- The patient/family must understand and agree to Hospice care
- A Hospice nurse and social worker will assess the patient in their home to confirm eligibility and admit the patient
Many patients live longer than 6 months. These patients can remain in Hospice as long as they continue to meet the criteria above.
It is always the patient’s right and option to pursue life sustaining options, should new treatments become available. If this occurs, the patient will be discharged from Hospice and the Hospice team will ensure that the patient has a smooth transition from the Hospice program.
Referral to our Palliative Program
Anyone may recommend a patient/family for palliative care by calling 404.351.1897.
If palliative care is not the right answer to meet your needs, we can direct you to additional resources.
How It Works
- A patient or his/her family can call the Danny Sklar Palliative Care Program for a consultation
- Acceptable diagnoses are cancer, heart disease and pulmonary disease for which aggressive treatments may still be pursued
- The Palliative Care Program serves a limited geographic area
When the Patient Meets the Program Guidelines
- We wll establish communication between the family and the patients attending physician.
- Our Nurse Practitioners will arrange a visit schedule according to a mutually agreed upon schedule.
- Telehealth services are available.